Sunday, August 9, 2009

Puppy Kindergarten

I don't have any pictures of Lily's puppy kindergarten since I can't train and take pictures at the same time! (I tried to talk Pattie into coming with me, but no luck there.)

First of all, we were about five minutes late and Diane trains the dogs in her garage. She already had closed the garage door so we had to knock to get in...then the first thing she tells me is, take Lily off her leash. REALLY? Are you sure? So Lily quickly (warp-speed?) made the rounds, introducing herself to the other students. And there were some real cuties. Her best friend is a male Mastiff puppy who was really adorable...very laid back, but they did get some playtime in.

Then we had to get to work. Sit, down, and settle...hmmm. It was kind of fun, since we all worked with all the dogs. Lily decided she liked the Mastiff's treats the best, so she performed repeatedly for his human. Those were the high points. The low points were (1) when we had to do the settle command which consisted of sitting on the floor with the dog nestled against you and we were supposed to calm our dogs by gently massaging them. Yeah, right! Lily decided she'd rather munch on her human (me) instead. So we've got some work to do there! Number 2 low point was when she decided to empty her bladder in the middle of class. I guess I should be used to that by now.

I told Diane we're considering changing Lily's name to Mar-Lily (Marley?). She agreed saying that the first time she saw her she knew I had a Marley.

I can hardly wait for next week's class.

1 comment: